Monday, June 20, 2011

Nothing Happen Today. Good Night.



            I was going through a bunch on my old stuff some time back. I've got these cardboard boxes full of "junk" as my mom and dad likes to call it. But I like to call it my "Treasure Chest Of Memorabilia" (ok, no, I don't. I just call it my stuff. This sounded fancier. And I wasn't even sure what memorabilia meant.. or how its spelt .Google to the rescue as always.)
Anyway so this treasure chest which might just look like an ordinary suitcase from the outside, is filled with years of valuable and one-in-a-million memories. Bits of scrap paper passed around in class, movie tickets, wrapping paper with tag on, letters and cards, flowers that has been dried between pages of books, locks of hair (no, im not a psycho), stones from a memorable place and other things that mite cause you to rethink my sanity level. Among all these, I found a couple of diaries. Now who hasn't written a diary once atleast once in a lifetime. They're so wonderful and personal, especially when you start writing so young. To me as a kid, it a whole new playground. I didn't have to use my best handwriting. I didn't have to stay between the lines. I could use pens with ink that are not blue or black. I could doodle right in the middle of the book if I wanted. And I could stop writing whenever I wanted. My first diary was introduced to me by an aunt, who wanted to encourage us kids to write. It was this lil black leather book with a flap so that you can button it shut. I wrote unfailingly for weeks. Some of my entries, as I read it now.. are hilarious : 

September 7th Wednesday 1994

Today in the I had a very BIG headace. At home alsaso my dad brought the termomiter. I was having 100.

Um.. ok so not hilarious,maybe. Just plain dumb. For a 9 year old anyway. I'm guessing the headache affected my sentence formation.. And my spellings.. thank god you can't see my handwriting. :-/

January 23 Sunday 1994

Today in school I did not have 4 peread. I am so happy today because I don't have tuion.

July 12 Tuesday 1994

Today I went to ice scat. I could not scat. But I enjoyed it. I am sleepy. Good night. Bye.

I said good night, bye, sometimes Good evening and occasionally, love ya, to my diary. I know…  :-/

After a while the posts got shorter and shorter : 

June 18 Saturday 1994
Dear Diary, Nothing happen today. Good night.

June 19 Sunday 1994
Dear Diary, Nothing happen today also. Good night.


About a month of this and then I got even lazier and started to resort to using ,, ,, in every day's column. As in "same-as-above". Apparently nothing happen to me for the rest of the year.
But then again when a new year dawns, I'd again start off on the crisp pages (which smells yummy by the way) of a fresh new diary. 
Once in my teens, I realized diaries are kinda kiddish and that I should move on to the grown-up version of diaries - the journal.

 I'm not sure what the difference is, but I was a major Babysitter's Club fan then, and the kids in that book always wrote in journals, which simultaneously (crap, I cannot spell simultaneously.. without spell check that is.) was considered to be a cool thing to do.
See the journal on the floor? See it? So cool!
 I figure the only difference is that diaries are meant to be written at night before bed and journals you can whip em up whenever you want and bitch bout life in it. Which was pretty much all I did in my journal. Complain bout my parents. Complain bout how I look. Complain about my best friends. Complain bout how much I had to study and how utterly useless algebra is. With an occasional random post about a new crush or two. :-)

May 16th 1999 (excerpts)

.. except for one who is drop-dead gorgeous. Well, he's not that cute but then he is really cute. But I think he's some sort of fuddy-duddy (I'm not making this up. I did use the words "fuddy-duddy". I mean how cool was I!)
……….When a girl next to me said the words "fall in love" to someone she was talking to, I looked up at the same time he was looking at me. I know its silly and doesn't mean anything my heart was pounding so bad that time. I think I'm a silly jerk. He doesn't have a nice accent and he hardly ever laughs. Geek. But he looks nice when he smiles……
…..I really really wanna talk to him but I don't have the guts. What am I gonna say anyway? I heard he's a boring conversationalist…….

Ahhhh to be 13 again! 
Note : To know how that story ended.. clickety click here!

I stuck to that journal throughout my teenage years. It wasn't much to look at. It was a notebook with a picture of a bunch of animals on the cover. And it says P.M.S deluxe. Lol! I just noticed that now. I bought it from the store in front of my house for 7 bucks. Eventually I punched a hole through all the pages so that I could slip a lock through it. For ensured privacy. Expect I lost the key one day and had to rip it open anyway. The last post I've written in it is where I'm stressing bout passing 12th grade and college and life in India.

Do I seem 18 now? ( I asked the 192 paged book) I think the way I write is different (not my handwriting). Or maybe I'm just trying too hard…

What's that even supposed to mean?

Once in college, I didn't do much journal or diary writing because college hostels are one place where girls just get a kick outta reading other people's diaries. In fact, when I was a kid, I used to jump at every chance to read my sister's diary. Except it didn't have anything earth-shattering in it. On the first page of her diary, she'd write – Do Not Open and do this drawing of the danger sign which actually just looked like a peanut on top of an X. On page two, she'd personally address me and say something like "You know its bad manners to read other people's diaries so PUT IT DOWN", which is sooo the wrongest thing to say to a jobless kid with a level of curiosity that could've killed a whole street of cats. But seriously, her diaries were boring. So in college, when eventually I did start writing, it was more or less for an audience. I'd write it so that others would like it if they read it. It would be humorous and charming with tit-bits of interesting trivia once in a while.

So today I hit a mosquito with my bare hands and then I swear I heard a crackling sound. I felt bad about it for a bit, but alas! (yes, alas) the deed had been done. I had crushed the poor thing's endoskeleton..Which as I know is just like human skeletons but on the outside. Yaawn, Off to bed, then. Tomorrow is gonna be another jam-packed day! (uh, yeah right!)

Sometimes I'd force my roommate to write about me in their diary then read it out loud to me. I think she tore out those pages about me after I went to sleep. :-/
Once I discovered blogging, I haven't really felt the need to write a diary. Most of my innermost thoughts and feelings, I usually blog about it. Or its my Facebook status. Ten years ago, I'd have tore someone's eyes out if they so much as hovered near my diary and read about my days where Nothing Happen today again. Now I'm just putting it all up on the web.. for public display.. of billions and thousands of people (ok, so not that many, I don't get that many hits on my blog :-( )
I started a diary last year though. But I stick to one-liners now. 

Day 1 - I got my driver's license today! Yay!
Day 2 - I almost run over someone today. Bummer!
Day 3 - I got my first pay-check. Yay!
Day 4 - I got fired today. Bummer!

After a while, I think I'll probably just shorten it to emoticons.  

Day 1
:-)
Day 2
:-(
Day 3
:-/
Day 4
?;0-(0''!~

Don't ask.

9 comments:

Samiha said...

Nutty, Pyari, Diana and I have our mustache and head hairs pinned in a diary. :-I

natasha said...

annnjjjj!!! u hav noo idea how happy i was to see that u had updated yo blog! sitting in this blah office can make u read nything and everything...n wen its yo blog..then its a piece of cake wid fcozz a cherry or say hot chcolate sauce on top .. thank you! @ samiha: i knoww :D .. hey wen v all meet up bring the diary along..ll update it.. :D

~Lady A~ said...

@sam- mustache hair? really? lol
and i read the blog u send me bout the lady who wrote bout her husb in her diary yrs b4 they got married.. oooh wat if i marry this guy who i mentioned!!oh oohh!

@nut- thanks luv...dis one goes out to u n the lil baby. watch lota funny movies n read funny books k? gotta develop his/her sense of humour :-)

@vin - ;-) for reading

rena said...

nice one bumtie:)

natasha said...

aww..thank uu!! :) .. i will make sure i read and read yo blog every nown then.. it shud be enuf for my baby to develope the right amount of sense of humour.!! loved your new blog too.. bout the kittens. :D

Anonymous said...

Hranju!! that was a nice read!! I was jus thinking of the times I used to write my diary sitting in the hostel room. It sure is fun sitting and reading up ol diaries. I still read it now and then :)
P.S- when u do get time do read my blog and share ur views.

~Lady A~ said...

@rena- thanks cutie

@nut- thanks nutty. ur my loyal-est reader. mwah.

@madh-u do realise that ur the roommate that i mentioned in the post, rite? remmeber how i used to bug u to write bout me? :-)
am looking thru ur blog now.will comment there. :-)

Deep said...

twas very funny!! u know, u write like me.. as in like my style of writing.. see for yourself, especially the humor-related posts.. http://deepchatter.blogspot.in/

nice read.. i'll follow thee!

~Lady A~ said...

@deepthi-man
thanks for reading.. me still goin thru ur blog.. will comment there soon :) thanks for following! Thou has made thine day! :)